Located on Harding Pike, in the Southwest region of Nashville, Belle Meade Plantation has been around for centuries of human history. Native tribes hunted wild game, and eventually used the trail as a trade route throughout the southeast. As the road developed, more and more settlers moved into the area and purchased the old hunting grounds for farmland. Following his marriage to Susannah Shute in 1806, John Harding purchased 200 acres of land from Daniel Dunham.
By 1820, Harding supervised the construction of a new brick house on a small hill and he began to call his farm “Belle Meade” or beautiful meadow. Many guests from around the country were drawn to Belle Meade in the 1880s and 1890s. They saw an old Southern plantation with an old aristocratic family at its helm and many formerly enslaved employees working its vast business operations. Guests were awed by the spectacle of a farm that seemed to defy the passage of time. The stereotype of the old Southern plantation made Belle Meade a popular destination for many including President and Mrs. Grover Cleveland, Robert Todd Lincoln, General U.S. Grant, General William T. Sherman, General Winfield Scott Hancock, and Adlai E. Stevenson.
By 1893, a weakened economy led the family into serious debt. By 1906, all of the 2600 acres that at one time belonged to Selene and General Jackson had been auctioned or sold including the Belle Meade Mansion. The “palmy days” at Belle Meade had ended.
Fast forwarding to today’s times, Belle Meade Plantation is quite a popular wedding venue and event space for any special occasion. Riddled with history, the plantation is sure to leave your guests in awe.
5025 Harding Pike
Nashville, Tennessee 37205
(615) 356-0501 ext. 125
Mon-Sat 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sun 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.